Brexit is a reality. As of 1 January 2021, new customs procedures will apply to the import and export of goods from and to the United Kingdom. But what does this concretely mean for your organisation? Are you fully prepared for these formalities and the associated paperwork? Do you know which checks will apply to your import and export procedures? Every company trading with the United Kingdom will soon have to deal with cross-border changes and customs declarations. How can you prepare your organisation and efficiently handle this administrative jumble?
On 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom left the European Union. A transitional period applies until 31 December 2020. The United Kingdom will abide by all current laws and regulations until this date. From 1 January 2021, new, as yet unknown, rules will apply. Irrespective of the outcome of the ongoing negotiations between the European Union and the United Kingdom, some things are already definitive:
1. The United Kingdom will be a 'third country'.
2. A physical border will once again be established.
3. Border checks will (more than likely) be reintroduced for both people and goods.
Therefore, as a Belgian exporter or importer, you will be obliged to prepare export and import declarations for goods to and from the United Kingdom.
Depending on a "deal" or "no-deal", additional conditions will have to be met. What measures can you already take in order to be prepared?
- You can already apply for any necessary permits for your own customs location so that future customs formalities can always be carried out on your own premises. That will prevent any later problems in the transport process. Are you not eager to get started on the administrative red tape? You can always count on our DKM professionals.
- Appoint a customs representative who can prepare and postpone the necessary declarations.
- DKM is already analysing the existing goods flows to see where bottlenecks may occur.
Do you want to stay informed and receive updates on the consequences of Brexit? Then sign up for our newsletter now!